Tuesday, December 13, 2011

President Buie's Message

Dear Sisters of the Relief Society,


I feel a sense of urgency in addressing you.  I believe I received "mine errand from the Lord" to address you.  I am certain that there are many of you who need to hear this message.  Especially at this time of the year.  My intent is not to add more to the burdens you already bear, but to share a message of optimism and hope, to help you lighten your load and gladden your heart.  It is my desire to help you enjoy more of the good news of the Gospel.  I hope to bless your life and enrich your understanding of how Our Savior can come to greater aid in your life.  Rescue us from ourselves at times.  To get you to lighten up on yourselves, and effectively call upon Him for greater assistance in your daily walk.  I believe this message is especially important at this time of year where there is so much joy coupled with stress and sorrow. 


I am an eye witness to the great good that you do.  I know that your lives are not easy, but despite all that, you accomplish great good.


What are the forces in your life that actually distance you from Christ?  May I suggest that they may indeed be different than you think?  Satan has been around a long time.  If he can't get you to smoke, drink, take drugs or many outward obvious sins, then he will with subtlety, surprise attack you through some very clever ways.  We are told that we are to "watch and pray always" and that "even the very elect would be deceived".  As always, The Book of Mormon gives us a clue.  Amulek, taught us in Alma 10:17 that Satan and his servants were laying "traps and snares to catch the Holy Ones of God".  There are three traps and snares that distance us from our Savior. 


1.  Perfectionism or Self perfection which leads to discouragement and "growing tired and faint" in our hearts from never being able to measure up to the supposed "perfection" standard.   Please don't fall into Satan's snare of thinking you must perfect your self first so you can be worthy to "come unto Christ".  Accept His offer now "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."


Sheri Dew writes "Sometimes I fear that we know just enough about the Atonement of Jesus Christ to make us miserable, but not enough to understand how much sweet help, peace, kindness, sustaining power, encouragement, enlightenment and forgiving love He offers us on a frequent recurring basis."


2.  Needless guilt.  Guilt about anything, you name it! When you feel guilt come over you, when you have committed no transgression, ask this question.  Who is working on you?  Is it God or is it Satan who seeks that you be miserable?  I believe that needless guilt is a snare of the adversary who wants you to be unhappy.  


3. Excessive worry.  Do your best and then let Him do the rest.  He is in charge; you do your best, and let him take over.  There is a wonderful scripture in D&C 123:17, that has brought me great comfort, many times.  "Therefore, dearly beloved…let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power: and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for His arm to be revealed."


I testify that these things are true.  Let us ponder which one of these "snares and traps" we may have fallen into.  He lives, He beckons us to lose our pride and completely love Him and trust Him and know Him better.  He is the solution; I love Him and testify of Him.  

President Scott Buie




President Buie read from these articles during the class:

Nancy M. Christensen, "My Personal Parable for Peace," Ensign, July 2006

Anthony D. Perkins, "The Great and Wonderful Love," Ensign, November 2006